Crime news that is ‘fresh from the beat’ helps police departments and individual law enforcement officers connect with the public. The ability to communicate in real-time goes both ways, providing opportunities for citizens at-large to make genuine contributions to their own safety. Police and crime news comes from various sources, including general crime journals analyzing trends in criminal justice and law enforcement. Crime news blogs narrow the focus even further, exposing crimes as they happen and giving readers the information they need to engage with law enforcement officers during emergencies. These thought-provoking sites stay on top of social trends in criminal behavior, providing crime information for concerned citizens.
Are you out there looking for CLEWS?
- CLEWS – Your Home For Historic True Crime on the World Wide Web. Genuine accounts of the people and crimes that shaped the historical criminal justice system provide endless fascination for those who study true crime. Laura James maintains this blog devoted to the true crime genre, focusing on noteworthy cases that have gotten attention in the past. Links are provided, leading readers to additional resources and to sub-specialty pages that deal with particular types of crimes. Case studies examine individual characters from the past, as well as historically significant crimes of yore.
- Midtown Miscreant – The Midwestern author of this blog addresses social and civil rights concerns impacting an entire generation of Americans. Mark Smith, the Miscreant, poses interesting questions about past and present crime news, tying current events to the causes and solutions of modern unrest. Legal updates and commentary about developing legislation allow readers to digest information in easy to understand ways, opening the door for change. Personal reflections about race and civil rights compliment the crime news found here.
- Seattle 911 – This police and crime blog provides detailed updates about crimes and criminals in the Seattle area. Breaking news about thefts, break-ins, shootings, fires, and other illicit activities is presented in a straightforward crime news format, including pictures from crime scenes and updates as investigations unfold. Local coverage gives the best indication of the actual outcomes of Seattle cases, assuring citizens that police have their security in mind. Contributing authors cover domestic incidents leading to injury as well as shootings and other newsworthy crimes.
Photo by J D Mack on Flickr
- The Crime Scene – Following crimes in your area is easy if you live in Southwest Missouri. This crime news blog is maintained to keep people in the area informed about criminal activity. Stories about police officers and true life situations they encounter on the job are presented from the law enforcement perspective, alongside questions about ethics and principles of effective policing. Overall, the content is genuine, advocating for men in blue by presenting their side of the story. Crime fighting success stories are highlighted too, including details about citizens that prevailed in the face of crime, and refused to be victims.
- What the Judge Ate for Breakfast – News from the Wichita court system is found here, keeping Kansas residents up to speed about local legal events and pending criminal cases. The blog also follows convicted criminals through the penal system, keeping tabs on when and where they serve their time. Legislative developments linked to the criminal justice system, especially in Kansas, provide additional areas of study for contributors to this blog, stimulating support for stronger state penalties in some cases. Recent articles include coverage of changes in sex trafficking laws and detailed analysis of court cases working their ways through the Kansas State criminal justice system. Posts that relate to the same topic, an individual criminal’s quest for clemency for example, are grouped in series’ so readers can easily access the entire group of articles discussing a particular topic.
- True Crime Report – One after another, recent crimes are detailed in daily posts about criminals and the creative ways they test the criminal justice system. If not for the serious nature of some of the crimes, it would be easy to view the revolving door of failed criminals as entertainment. Contributing authors explore crimes from the headlines, including rape, assault, and even bombings. Homicides get a lot of attention, due to the severity and high-profile nature of the crimes. Individual criminals are profiled in a section of the website dedicated to repeat offenders and those with particularly jaded senses of criminal justice. The updates included do not discriminate by location or type of crime – true crime coverage cannot be scripted.
- The Homicide Report – Los Angeles Times local coverage includes a featured blog used to update readers about crimes in the region. The site serves as database of crimes impacting Los Angeles County residents. The interactive map feature shows pinpoint crime details, including location, suspects, and other relative information. There is a focus on violent crime in some posts, but the idea is to promote public safety for less severe crimes too. A forum on the blog allows readers to share stories and remember loved ones, but it also helps communities plan for better security policies.
- New York Post Crime News – Crime news includes locally important New York State police blotter reports, but overall national security is also at play in the nation’s most prominent city, NYC. Criminal activity, as well as warnings and alerts about possible threats are included in this New York blog, which monitors criminal justice channels to provide up to date information about plots and crimes. Individual criminal profiles include updates about suspects on the run, alerting citizens to potential hazards before problems arise. New cases are covered as they emerge, so the public remains well-informed about developments occurring close to home.
- Dumb Criminals – The theme is carried throughout the content found here, with periodic updates providing glimpses into the less talented lives of failed thieves and criminals. Posts are organized into categories, allowing ready-access to various types of crimes, and the true stories of unsuccessful criminals. Arson, robbery, vandalism, fraud, and assault are only a few of the criminal areas of interest, providing great source material for tongue-in-cheek reporting. Stories involving alcohol impairment are grouped together for full appreciation of the entertainment value provided by drunks.
- DumbCrooks – Not everyone is cut out to be a criminal, so the failure rate is high for upstart criminals lacking talent and experience committing crimes. You could argue that crime is dumb by all accounts, but some cases stand out for having particularly silly features. Recent entries at Dumb Crooks include features about the fate of failed criminals, like one who plunged to his death fleeing from police and another whose own checking account information was on the hold-up note used at the bank. Despite the head-scratching antics of certain ‘professional’ criminals, the cases getting attention are real.
Photo by J D Mack on Flickr
- U.S News on NBC NEWS.com – Crime news from across the country dominates the content of this major news source blog, but there are also international stories posted discussing how world events impact American criminal justice. The site features contributions from experts in criminal sociology, as well as reports from field writers covering developing stories. Content changes hourly, keeping readers refreshed and interested. Criminal and civil cases are followed through the justice system, with article series’ that focus on particular criminals and events.
- Federal Bureau Of Investigation Blog – Information available on the World Wide Web comes from all kinds of sources, so why not go directly to one of the country’s largest law enforcement agencies for up to date crime information? The FBI maintains a thoughtful resource used to update members of the public and other law enforcement agencies about progress on current cases. New cases are opened regularly, prompting examination by contributors to the FBI blog. Dozens of categories are used to break-down crimes by type, including those against certain types of victims. By clicking on category links, readers enter pages of crime news devoted to certain crimes.
- Computer Crime Research Center – As technology advances, so does criminal behavior that exploits the technology. Where there is something to be gained from copying, stealing, pirating, or otherwise misappropriating technological advances, criminals find a way to illegally pursue unjust rewards. As a result, dedicated blogs like this one strive to keep pace with emerging technology and the criminals it attracts. Cybercrime and internet security solutions are discussed in articles gleaning input from cyber-crime experts and industry heavy-hitters with something at stake in the field.
- Coptalk.INFO – This site contains practical information designed to help regular citizens navigate among opportunists and criminals. Advice about safety and real-life case studies enlighten readers about crime and police work, encouraging them to cooperate with law enforcement officials. Recent posts detail step-by-step procedures to follow when you get pulled over on the road, and updates about widespread scams known to lure people in. The site also explores social issues and the impact they have on crime trends. Readers interested in the local crime scene find additional information among the dozens of frequently answered questions archived on the site.
- Mafia Families – Criminology fascinates readers, who sometimes get caught up in particular crime news topics. Mafia activities and the famed connections between immigrant families is a steady source of interest for crime buffs, so crimes attributed to organized groups are heavily scrutinized online. This blog takes general information about reputed crime families, and offers it alongside current events reporting; especially happenings related to La Cosa Nostra and other crime families. Individual members of high-profile families are discussed in terms of the traditional family structures of organized crime.
Crime in America: the name says it all
- Crime in America – All kinds of crime commentary is shared on this site, compiled in easy to find categories that compare crimes of similar types and those sharing similar victims. Topics include general information about crime, as well as specific break-downs of individual city crime rates and statistical trends. The information can be dissected in a variety of ways, to shed light on certain areas of criminal justice. Crime news can be searched in the same way. Users clicking on sidebar topics like burglary, or assault, are taken to areas of the blog dedicated to reporting certain types of crimes. The comprehensive nature of the resource allows it to stand-out among countless, less-informative crime news blogs.
- Local Safety Report – Home security and local safety are discussed on this blog, which features links to commercial alarm and safety companies. The idea behind the site is to provide information about local residential areas, informing citizens about dangers and preventative security measures. Crime news finds its way into blog entries, as a way to reinforce the role people play in their own safety. Willow Shield, the blog author, is supported by a number of expert contributors tasked with enlightening readers about prudent safety practices.
- The People’s Champion – Human interest stories are laced with advocacy in regular blog posts on People’s Champion. Guest contributors wave the flag for personal freedom and equality among all races and ethnicities. Other sociological issues are discussed, with special attention given to the ways they influence interactions between diverse peoples. Crime news includes updates about criminals of note, as well articles about victims of crime, especially those of color. The politics of race and its role in the criminal justice system are consistently explored in blog entries on the site.
- Crime, Guns and Videotape – Posts cover current events and offer information taken directly from court documents and filings. Crime news about recent cases and the subsequent criminal proceedings comes from experts familiar with police work, and the blog is maintained by an author with experience working in law enforcement. The investigative journalist is a licensed private investigator who worked on the Chicago police force, giving him a unique perspective about criminal justice. His commentary covers topics ranging from Supreme Court decisions to self-defense techniques. Court developments, especially those related to gun violence are consistent themes covered in the blog.
- a href=”http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/”>Crimeblog – Sponsored by the Dallas Morning News, this crime news blog expands coverage of headline-making crimes, and keeps readers updated about Texas criminals. The resource allows citizens to contribute with tips and accounts of real cases. Updates about criminal activities are supported by pictures and video enabling residents to identify criminals. Recent posts track court cases, following them through prosecution, until convictions are obtained. Crime reporters, editors and invited guest contributors provide regular insight into current crime related events.
Photo by J D Mack on Flickr
- Crimescene Blog – California crimes are explored here, in greater depth than is sometimes possible for mainstream reporting agencies. Details focus on grand cases, involving homicide and high-ticket property crimes, but they also include attention to lesser cases of theft and fraud. Timely posts discuss the possible causes of a recent train accident and the identification process that will be used to I.D. a body discovered in Altadena. In addition to coverage dedicated to fires, crimes, and municipal developments in California’s cities, the blog tracks area residents who become crime victims while they are away from home.
- Berkeleyside Police Blotter – Maintained by California’s largest independent news source, the crime blotter blog keeps residents informed about crimes occurring in the area. Entries are arranged by date, easily tracking crime trends in particular parts of the city. The listings, detailing the who, what, where and when of each occurrence, are supported by an interactive map that charts the geographic position of every crime committed in the region. Vehicle thefts and violent crimes are covered, as well as actively unfolding and solved/closed petty crimes. Readers use the comment section of the blog to share their own stories about local crime, further reinforcing the neighborhood crime prevention networks facilitated by the blog.
- West Seattle Blog – The World Wide Web and the spread of information it facilitates bring people together from far flung localities, but the internet also serves to link members of local neighborhoods, uniting them with regional crime news blogs. Seattle residents learn about recent crimes and what is being done to solve them, by reading posts on this West Seattle crime blog. Reporting about individual crimes is an important function of local crime news blogs, but resources like this Seattle example take it a step further, looking at neighborhood implications associated with vacant storefronts, foreclosure trends, and spikes in certain types of crimes.
- Chicago News Report – Residents of Chicago and surrounding areas benefit from this comprehensive crime news blog, alerting them to crime trends close to home. From Bucktown to Ravenswood, users are invited to click on links that open-up into areas of the blog devoted to particular locations. Beatings, muggings, shootings and other high-profile Chicago crimes are covered alongside national stories about criminal justice outcomes occurring beyond Illinois’ borders. By clicking on the South Loop, for example, readers learn about events that impact that area first, before being directed to news stories concerning surrounding areas.
- Crime and Courts News – High-profile national cases draw the greatest levels of coverage here, including homicides and those cases shrouded in controversy. Breaking news is addressed with posts about unfolding cases, especially those entering the courts. National media coverage is expanded with supporting blog posts, providing glimpses into what the actual juries use to determine their verdicts. Users click on links covering certain stories, opening-up article series’ that provide details about the case, including comprehensive analysis from crime experts. Tweets from suspects and other role-players within the criminal justice system are tracked regularly, creating a sense of insider access for blog readers.
- Metro Crime and Court News – The New Orleans Times Picayune provides crime news for this regularly updated blog about Louisiana criminal justice. Posts help residents track crime statistics and stay on top of active police investigations. Individual Parish news contained in blog articles pinpoints crimes committed in the New Orleans area, fostering greater cooperation between police and residents. Court cases that are especially recognizable to local residents are covered by posts that keep civilians informed about convictions and sentences.
- SFGate Crime Blog – This San Francisco blog, maintained by the Chronicle, contains information about Bay area crimes and investigations. Individual crimes are tracked for readers, who contribute valuable feedback in the comments section of the blog. Beyond actual crimes occurring in the region, articles explore wider policy implications, like how the war on drugs impacts society and how many strikes should be allowed to minors in the court system. Videos and photos included in blog posts help readers contribute to the crime solving efforts of professional law enforcement officers, giving them better tools for staying safe.
- Crime and Safety Blog – Tracking crime trends in South Florida is aided by this Sun-Sentinel blog, dedicated to solving and preventing crimes within the state. The site keeps citizens informed about scams and criminal efforts to take advantage of them, referring to real-life examples of crimes against Florida residents. The site carries recommendations from the attorney general, advising residents how to properly respond to criminal threats. Breaking crime news is also supplied, giving readers up-to-the minute details about developing investigations. Sharing timely crime news clears more cases and allows law enforcement to actively collaborate with members of the public, providing the highest possible levels of security.
- Crime Time – Criminal justice developments in North Texas, and beyond, are tracked with the help of this Star-Telegram sponsored blog devoted to reporting about criminal behavior in Texas. Articles present factual accounts of cases that are working their ways through the Texas criminal justice system, reviewing relevant charges and following the cases through the courts. Texas law and legislative policy are explored generally in recent pieces, but articles also focus on individual North Texas departments. Firefighter news is also present, especially when cases include suspected arson.
- BPDnews – This recently launched blog, sponsored by the Boston Police Department is designed to provide general information about safety and well-being, in addition to specific data about crimes and police work. The underlying mission of this department resource is to support public safety, which is accomplished with the help of timely crime news posts. Current investigations are followed closely by expert contributors, who use cases as platforms to blog about social issues. Each week, a most-wanted feature is included on the site, highlighting a crime or criminal for greater scrutiny. The week’s most- wanted criminals are often responsible for violent crimes like stabbings, homicides and sexual assaults.
- Crime Blog – KHOU.com is responsible for the content contained in this Texas blog. News organizations are tasked with keeping developing events in the spotlight, particularly when time is of the essence (as it is in most active police investigations). Crime news, presented timely, gives citizens an interface with law enforcement professionals, increasing their ability to participate in the criminal justice system. This Texas blog features sketches of crime suspects and details about their movements, preparing civilians to identify them moving within society. Rewards and other incentives offered for participating are outlined in posts that give readers even more reasons to play a role in solving Texas crimes.
- Arizona Daily Star Crime Blog – Local crime updates provide insight into Arizona crime trends and help local citizens stay safe. Daily posts highlight crime news stories taken from the headlines, dealing with smuggling, drug trafficking, and other significant crimes. Posts track arrests in the area and contain detailed information about the crimes and the criminals involved. Links to additional resources cover courthouse developments and other blog topics within the state criminal justice system. Major Law enforcement agencies like the FBI are also linked to the site for federal crime information.
Photo by J D Mack on Flickr
- Anchorage Daily News Crime Blog – Alaskan residents are subject to criminal behavior that does not occur nationwide, so local resources are important for tracking crime. This blog, maintained by the Anchorage Daily News provides timely information about local crimes. Recent stories contained alerts about local police impersonation victims and highlighted a major cocaine distribution ring bust. Despite its remote location, there is no shortage of crime news coming from Alaska, where non-lethal rubber-tipped bullets were recently required to stop a suspect.
- Crime Library – This regularly updated blog is maintained by the entertainment network, TruTV. The stories feature accounts of real life criminals and track them as they learn about justice. The nature of the host brings some measure of sensationalism to the site, which focuses on the most interesting crimes available for discussion. Glimpses into the minds of criminals and the methods they use are always fascinating, so readers are willing to take the good with the bad, allowing TruTV to hand pick its own variety of crime news.
- Findlaw Blotter – The past predicts the future, as they say, so ready-access to criminal court case records is a valuable resource for people studying crime. This blog helps illuminate current criminal trends by chronicling those of the past. Articles provide advice about crime and tips helping readers avoid the negative consequences of crime. Crime prevention and common sense work together to minimize the impacts of criminal behavior, so police blotters provide valuable insight into effective measures for reducing crime. Informational sidebars are also part of the blog, expanding understanding of particular facets of the legal system, including posts that explore the consequences of criminal behavior.
- The Brooklyn Paper – Play by play crime news featured in this New York resource is not limited to particular types of crimes. Articles report a variety of crimes, from thefts to homicides. One after another, New York robberies and property crimes are listed, to help provide timely information for citizens and law enforcement personnel. Neighborhood maps showing jurisdictional boundaries are included on the site, linking known criminal hotspots to the individual crimes being investigated in particular areas. Photos of suspects and convicted perpetrators are also maintained by site administrators, providing visual corroboration for identifying criminals.
- Baltimore Crime Beat – News and crime commentary is provided here by the Baltimore Sun, keeping pace with developing stories and investigations. Recent headlines include posts about an officer killed in the line of duty and the fate of a convicted heroin dealer. Political reporting is also present, with updates about local elections and coverage of races for State Attorney. Shootings and other high-profile cases are the subjects of ongoing, multi-piece articles that track developments in the cases. Legal challenges and civil cases are also monitored, bringing important verdicts to the public’s attention.
- PE Bloggers Crime Blotter – Most of the content of this site is contributed by Press Enterprise columnists and staffers familiar with criminal justice and local crime reporting. News from the Jurupa valley is presented alongside breaking coverage of Rancho Cucamonga crime, keeping residents one step ahead of local criminals. Drug interdiction requires a significant effort in border states, so PE Bloggers are quick to cover successes – and failures associated with the war on drugs. Officer-involved shootings and other law enforcement outcomes are scrutinized in recent posts, lending insight into complex criminal justice practices.
- City Police Blotter – One of the best ways to fight crime is to engage public support and participation. This blog, maintained by the Public Information Officer from the Fredericksburg police department supplies direct access to current crime news, straight from department representatives. Armed robberies and other local crimes are reported and tracked, allowing witnesses and helpful citizens to participate in active investigations. The site’s no-nonsense Daily Crime Report lists crimes and keeps tabs on charges and investigations as they develop. Detailed suspect information is included with each crime announcement, and links are present, leading readers to additional helpful crime-prevention resources.
- The Lawrence Crime Blotter – Theft is a fleeting crime, more likely to be unaccounted for as time goes forward. In other words, time is of the essence when solving crimes, so crime blogs containing up-to-the-minute information serve valuable functions for local law enforcement efforts. Local crime news, including updates about area thefts, pinpoints the victims and perpetrators of crimes, allowing residents to respond to threats before serious crimes occur. Citizens are familiar with their environments, so when criminal activity is under way residents are the first to recognize what is out of place. The Lawrence Blog brings citizens and law enforcement officials together, preserving cooperation and public safety.
- The Blotter – In addition to stories about crime, this site contains links to resources about criminals and justice. The Austin crime news page focuses on local crime prevention initiatives and keeps Texas residents informed about developing investigations in the area. Police efforts are highlighted in recent posts, including a holiday weekend campaign to reduce the number of drunk drivers taking to the roadways. Breaking news, like developments related to fugitives and criminals at large, gives readers the information they need at critical moments. Photos and descriptions of suspects play an important role in enlisting public crime fighting assistance, so Austin area mug shots are featured prominently on The Blotter.
- Crime Beat – This West Alabama blog is regularly updated with posts about crimes occurring near Tuscaloosa. In fact, residents of the area are better protected as a result of the crime blog, maintained by Stephanie Taylor and other members of the Tuscaloosanews.com staff. Recent entries follow crimes in Tuscaloosa County, including traffic crimes and sentencing outcomes for Alabama criminals. Crime Beat updates check-in on investigation developments and profile criminals responsible for some Tuscaloosa crimes.
- Lights and Sirens – This Tacoma, Washington blog is maintained by the News Tribune to keep local crime news fresh, and to provide an outlet for expert crime-prevention advice. White collar crime, as well as petty theft and robberies are exposed in regular features, which sometimes require multiple posts. Fires and other newsworthy events are also included in blog entries, placed on a comprehensive Tacoma crime map providing an overview of criminal activity in the Washington region. Public policy as well as the actions of the officials running the show in Tacoma are put under the microscope in posts that examine the whole criminal justice system, rather than a few individual cases.
- Sacto 9-1-1 – California crime news, especially activity near Sacramento is fair game for this local crime blog. The site is maintained by the Sacramento Bee, with regular contributors and expert guest posters accounting for most of the content. Reporting includes updates about local criminal investigations, as well as breaking news about crimes as they come to light. Bloggers follow noteworthy cases, with updates about charges and court developments. Blog entries pose interesting questions about crimes and the justice policies that operate behind the scenes. Contributors are not afraid to pose arguments about ethics and other criminal justice issues.
- Mediamatters – The media looks at itself with this pointed blog about responsible reporting and other social issues surrounding crime news. Most of the articles dissect news coverage traditionally associated with the political right. Taking current crime stories, and analyzing the way they are presented provides insight into media bias in crime reporting, which provides the central theme for this blog. Fox News and other outlets are challenged for the way they introduce right-wing principles into news stories, influencing the impact they have on public perception.
- Sirens – This crime news blog is maintained by heraldnet.com, keeping Washington State residents informed about crimes occurring in their area. Recent posts include coverage of criminal activity in Granite Falls and Mountlake Terrace, as well as crime exposes focusing on other localities. Convenient links to municipal police departments are included in a sidebar that allows users to click on Mill Creek, Everett, Brier and other law enforcement websites. Regular posts are archived, including a section that allows readers to ‘catch-up’ with the weeks posts compiled in a specific area of the page.
Photo by J D Mack on Flickr
- Brookline Police News – This series of posts is aimed at Brookline Massachusetts residents and other readers tracking criminal activity in the area. Posts outline developing crimes, and provide follow-ups about ongoing criminal investigations. The police blotter format contains details drawn directly from officers’ investigations and breaks criminal activity into weekly archives of crimes occurring within certain boundaries. Links to other Brookline resources compliment the straight-ahead listings covering crimes.
- NFL Crimes – Specialty crime news blogs zero-in on particular types of crimes and categories of criminals, but the subject matter here is particularly narrow in scope. This interesting compendium tracks the illicit activities of members of the National Football League. Each of us is familiar with the local misdeeds of players on our favorite teams, but this blog provides an opportunity to track players from across the entire League. Drunk driving, assault, illegal weapons possession, and a creative array of domestic charges are typical of the crimes reported here. Cheerleaders, fans and others behaving badly are not exempt from attention when their misdeeds are done in the name of their favorite football teams.
- Dayton Courts – Daily updates cover legal and court news from the Dayton region of Ohio. Arrests and prosecution records provide content for blog articles, which keep tabs on suspects and criminals as they move through the criminal justice system in Ohio. Regular features highlight individual criminals, keeping their images and stories fresh for victims. The site is affiliated with daytondailynews.com, providing citizens with details about specific cases and their courtroom outcomes.
- Boston Magazine Crime Blog – News stories about Boston crimes are given greater scrutiny in blog posts included on this crime news site. Follow-ups to noteworthy cases, like the Boston Marathon bombing investigation, provide ongoing details about charges and criminal prosecutions associated with Boston criminal activity. News from surrounding municipalities is included among entries that explore not only Boston crime trends, but the individual criminals responsible for regional crime. Recent articles focus on local crimes like vandalism, as well as serious offenses pulled from national media headlines. The blog contains links to additional Boston area crime news resources featuring coverage of city council developments and other local issues impacting crime prevention and public safety.